2014 was an incredible year for SolidFire, our partners, and our customers. We have seen enterprises and service providers around the world, enabled by SolidFire’s all-flash, scale-out storage platform, transform storage from one of their biggest headaches into one of the most reliable and empowering parts of their infrastructure.
And yes, I think “empowering” is the right word.
Throughout 2014, we have seen our enterprise customers efficiently solve for their pressing performance demands, but also (and more importantly) change the way they provision, manage and scale their storage infrastructure. Guaranteed Quality of Service has driven the development of new application services and has freed enterprise IT to provision capacity and performance without constraints or the fear of a single noisy application ruining the performance for all. We hear it from our service providers and enterprise customers alike: “…with SolidFire, I can respond to application and business demands faster and with more accuracy than ever before.”
Similarly, SolidFire’s service provider customers across the globe are leveraging our game-changing Fueled by SolidFire Program to stand up new and highly profitable offerings, such as Desktop as a Service (DaaS) and Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS), that bring clear value to the enterprise and make delivering applications from a shared environment more cost effective and reliable. In partnership with our service providers, we are delivering the full breadth of the SolidFire platform to more than 26,000 businesses of every shape and size imaginable.
At the center of these transformations is our Cloud Builders Channel. Having grown in number by more than 900% in 2014, SolidFire Cloud Builders are helping IT departments rethink their storage strategies and keep pace with the demands of their users and the growth in their business. Leveraging the SolidFire platform and integrated solutions like SolidFire Agile Infrastructure, Cloud Builders are crafting innovative and differentiated solutions responsible for over 50% of SolidFire’s Q4 business.
At SolidFire, we are dedicated to purposeful innovation and to delivering a constant stream of industry-leading technology that is blazing trails in the storage industry. We have set the cornerstone for profitable growth in 2014 and with the right technology, partnerships and team, are pushing forward into 2015 to fuel our customers’ transition to the next generation data center.
Here’s a quick look back at our 2014 key milestones.
- We grew our team by 125%.
- Revenues continued to grow at 50% quarter over quarter.
- Outside Magazine named us a Top 100 Best Place to Work.
- Gartner named us #1 in Overall Flash Use Case and a Leading “Visionary” in their Magic Quadrant for Solid-State Arrays.
- We continued to accelerate the pace of storage innovation with two new releases of our Element Operating System; OS6/Carbon in March and OS7/Nitrogen and Fibre Channel support in November
- We launched our initial AI for OpenStack converged infrastructure reference design in May, followed by the release of AI for Virtual Environments at VMworld in September and then our partnership with Synnex in October.
- We raised an $82 million Series D round of funding to accelerate our ability to capitalize on major shifts in the storage industry.
- We released the SF2405 and 4805 platforms, allowing customers to consolidate even sooner but scale forever.
- We expanded our reach in the database market by announcing support and best practices for MySQL.
- We continued to educate the market about the benefits of a truly shared-nothing architecture.
- We took VMworld 2014 by storm with the unmatched combination of Control Freaks, Craft Beer, and Awesome Socks!
- We introduced ActiveIQ, a hosted service delivering real-time system health diagnostics and historical trending.
- We became the first to deliver end-to-end quality of service in VMware environments with the release of version 2 of our vCenter Plug-In.
- We kicked off the year by hosting the first ever OpenStack: Breaking Into the Enterprise Forum, bringing together industry thought leaders to help accelerate the adoption of OpenStack in enterprise data centers.
At the beginning of 2014, I discussed how we expected the flash market would evolve in 2014:
2014 will be the year that we see the dust settle and real winners emerge. Winning value propositions will be defined by architectures that are enabled by flash rather than defined by it. Market leaders will deliver a broad and innovative feature set that goes beyond just performance and delivers on the scale, agility, efficiency, and reliability expectations of enterprise storage.
Our conversations with customers, prospects and analysts over the last year continue to show the market heading in this direction; first-generation flash-centric architectures and companies are being displaced by flash-enabled next-generation storage platforms. And as we step into 2015, SolidFire is positioned to deliver the full value of an all-flash infrastructure better than any other emerging storage company.
In 2015, we don’t expect the pace of customer demands or the rate of innovation within the flash ecosystem to slow at all. “Flash technology has improved at a faster rate than Moore’s Law, with more than 50% improvement in annual price performance and density,” said David Floyer, CTO at Wikibon. (Reference) But with that rapid innovation of new flash geometries and densities will come a jumbled mess of options that will make flash storage more confusing than ever for customers, further validating the unique investment protection of SolidFire’s mixed node shared-nothing architecture.
As we look to 2015, we will continue to innovate, expand the SolidFire team worldwide and emerge as the storage company firmly rooted at the core of the world’s largest and most demanding data centers.
And we can’t do it alone! We’re hiring the best talent around the world. If you think you’re up for the challenge of helping us build on our success in ‘14, then take a look at our careers page.
Happy New Year! We look forward to seeing you in 2015.