In the International Data Corporation’s EMEA Quarterly Disk Storage Systems Tracker, 3Q15 press release on Dec 15th the headline read:
Flash Arrays Account for Over 50% of External Storage in EMEA Even as
Overall Storage Market Declines Another Quarter……
As predicted in 2014 the storage market is in transition. I predict that the transition will accelerate in 2016 as Flash erodes
the SAS HDD market. By 2017 the market will have polarised around Flash, tier 0 for performance and SATA HDD Tier 1 for
No surprise that my good friend Adam Fore, In his What’s New in All Flash Blog told us that the NetApp All Flash FAS (AFF) unit
shipments grew more than 400% year-over-year. I predict the 3rd age of Flash in 2016. The age when Enterprise Class Flash
becomes the benchmark. In NetApp we have seen a very busy year in 2015 building out our Enterprise Flash portfolio.
Here is a quick summary:
- New AFF platform with Flash Essentials
- New AFF8080cc that doubles the rack density
- New inline deduplication
- Support for 3.8TB SSD drives that, when combined with the latest inline deduplication capabilities enables flash for the price of disk.
- New fast and easy installation. Go from box to power-up to serving data in less than 20 minutes.
- Simplified SAN optimization. 15% of AFF systems are now shipping this way, and almost half the installed base is SAN.
Along with the new Flash programs:
Finally I had the pleasure of presenting the NetApp Flash Portfolio on a recent Bytes Technology Webinar. Here is a link to the
Youtube Video. If you have the time over the holiday period I urge you to take a look. Please rewind to the start of the video.
I wish you all the best for the holiday season and see you in the new year.
Laurence James, On behalf of the EMEA Products, Alliances and Solutions Team
Follow me : @lozdjames