At NetApp, our engineering IT team recently deployed an large-scale virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI) aimed at increasing security, flexibility, and mobility for all of our engineering workforce. As a part of this, the Customer-0 team, an engineering program which deploys the latest Data ONTAP operating systems to perform testing and validation before anyone else, is taking advantage of All Flash FAS and the latest enhancements to clustered Data ONTAP to ensure that the VDI performs exceptionally well under all conditions.
On this week’s episode, we explore how the Customer-0 program deployed VDI for more than 6,000 users in record time by leveraging the flexibility, manageability, and ease of deployment of FlexPod with All Flash FAS and clustered Data ONTAP. To explain this, the team sat down with Chris Gebhardt, Sr. Technical Marketing Engineer, and Tony Leger, Director of Engineering for Data Center Services, to discuss details, highlights and lessons learned from the deployment.
If you want more information about deploying virtual desktops using NetApp clustered Data ONTAP and All Flash FAS, our technical marketing team has published a number of documents to assist with all phases of architecture, configuration, and deployment.
- NetApp All Flash FAS Solution for VMware Horizon 6 and vSphere Virtual Volumes (TR-4428)
- NetApp All-Flash FAS Solution for Non-persistent Desktops with VMware Horizon View (TR-4307)
- NetApp All-Flash FAS Solution for Persistent Desktops with VMware Horizon View (TR-4335)
- NetApp & VMware View Solutions Guide (TR-4181)
Be sure to check out NetApp.com for information on using both VMware Horizon View and Citrix XenDesktop with NetApp storage.
Looking to meet the Tech ONTAP Podcast team in-person? We will be at Insight-US, Insight-EMEA, and VMworld-US.
Register for VMworld today and visit the team on the show floor at booth number 1005. While at VMworld, don’t forget to attend these great NetApp sessions:
- Mission Possible: Delivering IT continuity in the hybrid cloud era (STO6466-SPO)
- NetApp Integrated VMware EVO:RAIL Solution Deep Dive (SDDC6595-SPO)
- The Value of Speed: NetApp All Flash FAS (STO6567-SPO)
- Virtual Volumes on NetApp – Ready For Prime Time! (STO5721)
- Virtual Volumes Technical Panel (STO5522)
- How the Denver Broncos Win With Advanced Technology (OPT6693-SPO)
NetApp Insight is Less Than 60 Days Away!
Have you registered for NetApp Insight yet? With over 300 technical breakout sessions to choose from, as well as Hands-On labs and onsite NetApp Certification Exams, Insight is one event you won’t want to miss. And if that isn’t enough, you can come and hang out with Glenn, Sully and Pete.
If you are new to the podcast, tune into any of our previous episodes to see what you may have missed. You can find Tech ONTAP Podcast episodes on the NetApp Blog.
Each week, the Tech ONTAP Podcast discusses all-things NetApp, interviews subject-matter experts, and provides insights into the storage industry. Follow the hosts on Twitter: Pete Flecha (@vPedroArrow), Glenn Sizemore (@glnsize), and Andrew Sullivan (@andrew_NTAP). Subscribe to the podcast on SoundCloud, iTunes, or sign-up to receive the Tech OnTap newsletter.