For years, video surveillance systems have been a critical tool for campus security, helping to protect students, to deter crime, and to prevent vandalism. In a 2016 study by Campus Safety magazine, 91% of hospitals, schools, and universities reported that they used surveillance cameras for security, with another 4.5% planning to purchase video surveillance technology by 2019.
After a string of recent school shootings, schools and universities across the United States are once again examining campus security measures to help keep students safe. As part of that effort, many are looking at ways to improve their surveillance systems.
But do video cameras make a difference? According to Campus Safety magazine’s 2018 Video Surveillance Survey, yes, they do. The survey revealed that of the campuses with video surveillance systems, 58% frequently use their cameras to provide evidence for investigations. Another 80% of respondents report that their security cameras frequently or sometimes prevent crime.
The survey also revealed that 80% of respondents rate image quality and camera reliability as extremely important to their surveillance deployments. But campuses that concern themselves only with cameras are missing a big piece of the puzzle. The fact is, image quality and camera reliability don’t matter if you don’t have a fast, reliable storage system to capture and to save that data.
Here are five key things that campuses must look for in a data storage solution:
- Reliability. Interruptions in the flow of data can put lives and property at risk. Data loss can also be a liability in court, where video surveillance footage is often relied upon as evidence. The fault-tolerant design of the NetApp video surveillance storage solution is proven to deliver greater than 99.999% availability.
- Speed. Today’s high-resolution cameras can capture incredible detail, even in low-light situations across a variety of campus environments. To capture the full resolution, you need storage that can ingest data at the same speed and at the same throughput that the camera is putting out. NetApp video surveillance storage system performance is optimized to support any number of video streams simultaneously. And it can handle up to 1 million IOPS of sustained reads and 13 GBps of sustained (and maximum burst) write bandwidth.
- Ease of deployment. What started as smaller, analog systems have quickly grown into large-scale digital deployments that demand the reliability, speed, and flexibility of enterprise storage. As a result, your campus security staff can face a steep learning curve as your IT requirements become more complex. With the modular design of the NetApp video surveillance storage solution, your campus security staff can nondisruptively add performance and capacity without complex deployments or migrations.
- Scalability. Today’s campus surveillance deployments generate more data than ever before. That trend is likely to continue as campuses step up their video surveillance deployments by upgrading and adding cameras to new locations. With the granular, building-block approach that NetApp video surveillance systems offer, you can scale seamlessly from 200 to 200,000 cameras by adding capacity in any increment—one or multiple drives at a time.
- Cost. Data storage can account for about 30% of the total cost of a typical video surveillance solution—more than the cameras, servers, networking, or software alone. Schools that aren’t smart about storage can quickly see their costs spin out of control. The NetApp video surveillance storage solution offers an ultra-high-density architecture, low management costs, and modular scalability. These features help lower your TCO and help eliminate the need to overprovision storage.
NetApp E-Series video surveillance storage systems offer a true pay-as-you-grow solution to meet the new big data video storage requirements that many schools face. We partner with the industry’s best application providers to build rock-solid solutions for today and tomorrow.
Step up protection of your students and your staff today. To learn more about how the NetApp video surveillance storage solution can help you meet current and future security challenges, download our solution brief, NetApp Video Surveillance Storage Solution for Education.