Gartner just released its 2018 Magic Quadrant for Solid State Arrays (SSA) and NetApp has moved further to the right and higher in ability to execute within the Leaders Quadrant. We believe there is a strong correlation between the improved position in the leaders quadrant and our growing market share.
Customers are also voting with their wallets, and often. IDC’s recent Worldwide Quarterly Enterprise Storage Systems Tracker for CY Q1 2018 reports that NetApp ranks #2 in the AFA market, growing 59.5% year-over-year. The below IDC graphic shows year-over-year vendor revenue specifically for All-Flash Arrays.
What is driving this? Innovation inside and outside of the array.
With increased competition and emerging opportunities, organizations are looking to use data to optimize operations, enable new customer touch points and drive new revenue streams as part of their digital transformation, better data services and the infrastructure to deliver them become critical. The leading SSA vendors will not just deliver faster systems but integrate array and cloud-based data services in a single architecture. These services need to be fast, intelligent, flexible and easy to implement.
This is where NetApp continues to stand out. NetApp’s vision for data services is a Data Fabric that seamlessly connects a customers’ increasingly distributed, diverse, and dynamic data environment. This Data Fabric is an architecture that provides data services spanning edge, core and cloud. It provides data visibility and insights, data access and control, and data protection and security.
This year brought powerful new innovations in the Data Fabric
- Automated policy-based tiering of cold data to public cloud
- Pay-as-you-go backup and disaster recovery with public cloud
- Automated data sync with public cloud to leverage cloud analytics
- New levels of performance with the industry’s first end to end NVMe over FC solution. Here’s the recently published SPC-1 benchmark.
- Cloud-based predictive analytics that help optimize performance, capacity and cost across premises and public cloud
Now let’s look ahead. What can customers expect from NetApp?
Leadership into the future
NetApp will continue to lead when it comes to developing cutting-edge technology and capability in our SSA offerings. We are focused on delivering capabilities that help accelerate our customer’s digital transformation. Over the next year you will see from NetApp:
- Connections to more cloud-based data services and cloud providers.
- Radically simple system designs
- Even higher levels of performance with next generation flash technology such as Storage Class Memory
- More intelligent predictive analytics and proactive care to ensure your data fabric operates optimally
- Greater efficiency to reduce flash media and cloud resource costs.
Ask your SSA vendor how they plan to deliver the new data services that are faster, flexible, more efficient and integrated with cloud data services.
Gartner Magic Quadrant for Solid-State Arrays, By Valdis Filks, John Monroe, Joseph Unsworth, Santhosh Rao, Published 23 July 2018
This graphic was published by Gartner, Inc. as part of a larger research document and should be evaluated in the context of the entire document. The Gartner document is available upon request from NetApp.com.
Gartner does not endorse any vendor, product or service depicted in its research publications, and does not advise technology users to select only those vendors with the highest ratings or other designation. Gartner research publications consist of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization and should not be construed as statements of fact. Gartner disclaims all warranties, expressed or implied, with respect to this research, including any warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.