SUNNYVALE, Calif.-November 1,2011-The exponential growth of data provides a wealth ofinformation that, if managed and analyzed effectively, can resultin innovations and discoveries that affect our world. Nowhere isthis truer than in the health care field, where the right dataanalysis can lead to new findings that profoundly change lives inan instant. The key to unlocking this data is technology. Withoutit, many of today’s life-saving medical advances would not bepossible. In short, technology saves lives.
For Be The Match®, which operates theworld’s largest listing of potential marrow donors and donated cordblood units, data is life. Thousands of patients withlife-threatening diseases like leukemia, lymphoma, and sickle celldisease need a marrow transplant every year but don’t have a matchin their family. Operated by the nonprofit National Marrow DonorProgram®, Be The Match helps connect these patients withdonors. The organization understood that to save more lives, itneeded a technology foundation that would act as an enabler, not aconstraint. That’s why Be The Match is built on NetApp (NASDAQ:NTAP).
“The ability to make faster decisions and toanalyze information in real time has a direct impact on the livesof our patients, making our storage platform a critical piece toour success,” said Michael Jones, chief information officer of BeThe Match. “With NetApp, we have been able to greatly acceleratethe flow of data, which has enabled us to facilitate 50% moretransplants around the world. NetApp has been instrumental inhelping us save more lives.”
By giving patients access to a registry ofmore than 15 million donors and 400,000 umbilical cord blood units,Be The Match helps facilitate thousands of potentially life-savingtransplants every year. Transplant doctors search its Be The MatchRegistry® using a sophisticated matching algorithm applicationthat is 100 million times more complex than blood typing programs.Since 2007, the number of transplants facilitated per year hasrisen steadily, from 3,700 to 5,500. Be The Match has set a goal tofacilitate 10,000 by 2015. This aggressive growth, coupled with thesheer complexity and volume of data, triggered the organization totransform its existing IT infrastructure with NetApp® storageat its core. By building on NetApp, Be The Match was able to turnits IT environment into a catalyst for life-saving speed andflexibility.
NetApp Helps Be The Match Push theEnvelope of What Is Possible
As a result of its overall transformation program, Be The Matchrealized a number of benefits that allowed it to speed the processof discovery, extend its global reach, and create more accuratematches, directly helping the organization save more lives.
- A newly integrated application suite, which includesconsolidating Be The Match data onto a NetApp platform, has allowedthe organization to reduce the time to transplant by 15%. Becausemany patients have diseases that can progress very quickly, thewindow of opportunity to identify a donor and perform a transplantcan be as small as months or even weeks. Cutting the time totransplant helps patients move more quickly through the transplantprocess and improves their chance of survival.
- Be The Match has doubled its annual donor registrations bybuilding a new donor recruitment portal as a result of its sharedIT infrastructure on NetApp. The new portal helped increase annualdonor registrations, from an average of 360,000 per year from 2000to 2008 to about 850,000 for the last two years. The more potentialdonors Be The Match has access to, the higher the likelihood that apatient will find a match.
- NetApp is able to deliver the performance and bandwidth that BeThe Match requires to rapidly complete complex analytics and to run10 times more concurrent matching algorithm searches than on itslegacy storage. The result helps improve matching accuracy andboost survival rates.
- NetApp’s leading efficiency capabilities have enabled Be TheMatch to reduce capacity requirements by 900TB and dramaticallysimplify overall management, allowing it to scale from 65TB to350TB without adding any new resources. The efficiency gains alsoenable the organization to lower overall storage costs, which is ofparamount importance for a nonprofit organization.
- Moving to a NetApp foundation has enabled Be The Match toimprove information visibility and sharing across applications anduser groups, which is critical for its partner network of 525affiliated organizations in 40 countries. Because nearly half ofall transplants involve an international donor or recipient, Be TheMatch will make its services available to its affiliates via aprivate cloud built on NetApp.
To find out how you can sign up andexperience the power of saving a life, visit www.BeTheMatch.org.
- Jeffrey W. Chell, M.D., chief executive officer of BeThe Match
“Technology is critical to Be The Match’ssuccess. NetApp has removed the technology barriers and enabled usto forge ahead with our ambitious transplant goals. We areconfident that with NetApp at the core of our IT infrastructure, BeThe Match will be able to continue to push the envelope of what ispossible with cellular therapy and help save more lives around theworld.”
- Rob Salmon, executive vice president of FieldOperations, NetApp
“The work that Be The Match does is incredible and has touched somany lives around the world. For Be The Match, data is the mostprecious resource, and their IT transformation has revolutionizedthe way they work and the research they can conduct. To have NetAppserve as the foundation for the new infrastructure is proof thatthe right technology can truly help save lives.”
- Learn more about how business success is built on NetApp:www.netapp.com/BuiltOn
- Watch how Be The Match saves lives built on NetApp: www.youtube.com/
- Connect with NetApp experts and storage enthusiasts on theNetApp Community: communities.netapp.com/community/products_and_solutions/efficient_it
- Follow NetApp on Twitter: www.twitter.com/NetApp
- Join NetApp on Facebook: www.facebook.com/NetApp
- View NetApp videos on YouTube: www.youtube.com/NetAppTV
- Connect with NetApp on LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/groups?about=&gid=111681
NetApp creates innovative storage and data management solutionsthat accelerate business breakthroughs and deliver outstanding costefficiency. Discover NetApp’s passion for helping companies aroundthe world go further, faster at www.netapp.com.
About Be The Match
Be The Match helps patients with leukemia, lymphoma and otherdiseases who need a marrow or umbilical cord blood transplant.People can join the Be The Match Registry® – the world’slargest listing of potential marrow donors and donated cord bloodunits – contribute financially and volunteer. Patients and theirfamilies can also turn to Be The Match for support and resourcesbefore, during and after transplant. Be The Match is operated bythe National Marrow Donor Program® (NMDP), a nonprofitorganization that matches patients with donors, educates healthcare professionals and conducts research so more lives can besaved. For more information, visit BeTheMatch.org orcall 1 (800) MARROW-2.
Be The Match
NetApp, the NetApp logo, and Go further,faster are trademarks or registered trademarks of NetApp, Inc. inthe United States and/or other countries. All other brands orproducts are trademarks or registered trademarks of theirrespective holders and should be treated as such. Use of the term “partner” or “partnered” does not imply a legal partnership betweenNetApp and any other company.