SUNNYVALE and LAS VEGAS, Nev.-August29, 2011 –Cloud computing has quickly surfaced as animportant IT initiative as more organizations evaluate alternativesto help manage the pace and growth of their business. To helpaccelerate customers’ transition to the cloud, today atVMworld® 2011, NetApp and VMware announced VMware cloudinfrastructure and management on NetApp®, a new joint solutionthat enables organizations to evolve to a secure cloud computing model at their own pace, gaining greater flexibility and efficiencywithout needing to rip and replace their existinginfrastructure.
- The solution is documented in a best practices guide and helpscustomers evolve from a virtualized environment to a secureprivate, hybrid or public cloud infrastructure using proven,integrated technologies that automate and centrally manage cloudenvironments, resulting in increased productivity and optimizedservice levels.
- VMware cloud infrastructure and management on NetApp simplifiesthe transition to a standardized, automated service-delivery modelthat scales with the business, allowing service providers,government agencies and universities, and enterprises to investresources back into the business so they manage for the future anddrive innovation throughout the organization.
- The solution helps customers evolve to the next stage of thevirtualization journey by creating a secure cloud infrastructureusing proven, integrated technologies that automate and centrallymanage cloud environments, resulting in increased productivity andoptimized service levels.
- The cloud infrastructure solution combines NetApp’s flexibleand efficient Unified Storage Architecture and comprehensive set ofstorage and data management capabilities built on Data ONTAP®with VMware’s recently enhanced cloud infrastructure suite to deliver seamless integration ofcloud management, provisioning, and backup and recoverycapabilities based on existing virtualized shared ITinfrastructures. This powerful combination enables organizations totransition to the cloud at their own pace, without the need to ripand replace their existing infrastructure. Core features include:
- Integrated data protection with VMware vCloud® Directorenables customizable backup and recovery of tenant data withinminutes.
- Intelligent policy-based provisioning of storage andinfrastructure resources to meet stringent service-levelagreements.
- Secure isolation and control of multiple tenants (applications,organizations, clients, users and business units) on a flexible andefficient shared IT infrastructure.
- NetApp and VMware have a globally staffed, 24×7 direct contactpath between the VMware and NetApp support organizations andleverage a Unified Support Lab where support engineers canreproduce customer environments, diagnose issues, and rapidlyresolve customer cases. As customers continue to deploy cloudinfrastructure environments, they want to be certain that theirtechnology partners will continue to provide rapid and efficientsupport. The cooperative support process enables customer problemsto be worked to completion in a seamless manner, with technicalsupport engineers communicating directly with each other to resolveissues efficiently.
- Daniel Morgenstern, manager, Windows andVirtualization, Franklin University IT
“Franklin University is committed to providing our students withthe educational resources and tools they need to succeed, and ourIT infrastructure is a critical foundation to ensuring thathappens. With VMware cloud infrastructure and management on NetApp,we were able to move to a secure private cloud that offersunprecedented flexibility to expand in any direction, fluidly moveresources, and quickly provision services. As a result, we’ve beenable to optimize our resources and focus on delivering the besteducation to our students.”
- Paul Giobbi, president, Zumasys
“Zumasys is focused on increasing the availability andaffordability of cloud computing solutions for our customers. Usingthe cloud infrastructure and management solution based on VMwareand NetApp, our customers can dynamically scale their applicationsand automatically self-provision server and storage resources.Customers can choose to keep some applications onsite, some in apublic cloud, and some on the Zumasys platform with portabilitybetween locations. With this solution, we can provide a moreflexible and affordable path to the cloud for our customers.”
- Chris Cummings, vice president of Products andSolutions Marketing, NetApp
“As enterprises look for ways to accelerate their businesses, theyrecognize that the decisions they make now affect not only how theycompete today but also how prepared they are for the future. Formany, there’s substantial upside to evolving from a virtualizedenvironment to a cloud architecture. NetApp and VMware aredelivering a secure, integrated solution that allows customers tobuild on their virtualized environments without having to rip andreplace their current IT infrastructures. This saves invaluabletime, money, and productivity that they can reinvest back in thebusiness.”
- Gary Green, vice president, Global Strategic Alliances,VMware
“VMware and NetApp have built a strong relationship to deliverinnovative solutions that help customers derive value from existingIT investments while preparing for the datacenter of the future.With this new solution, we’re taking another step forward inhelping joint customers virtualize more of the IT environment -including their most demanding business-critical applications – tocontinue building the foundation for cloud computing.”
The VMware and NetApp products that make up the VMware cloudinfrastructure and management on NetApp solution are currentlyavailable and can be purchased directly from NetApp and VMware, orthrough the companies’ worldwide network of value-added authorizedresellers, distributors and systems integrators. For moreinformation, please visit www.netapp.com/us/solutions/infrastructure/vmware-cloud-infrastructure.html.
- Read more about VMware cloud infrastructure and management onNetApp: www.netapp.com/us/library/datasheets/ds-3230.html
- Learn more about the VMware cloud infrastructure suite:www.vmware.com/cloud-infrastructure
- Watch customer videos, read white papers and learn aboutNetApp’s ecosystem of partners to see how NetApp can help yourbusiness go further, faster: www.netapp.com/cloud
- Follow VMworld on Twitter: www.twitter.com/VMworld(hashtag #VMworld)
- Follow NetApp on Twitter: www.twitter.com/NetApp
- Join NetApp on Facebook: www.facebook.com/NetApp
- View NetApp videos on YouTube: www.youtube.com/NetAppTV
- Connect with NetApp on LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/groups?about=&gid=111681
- Discuss this news in the NetApp Community, where you canexchange thoughts and ideas on a variety of topics with ourcommunity members. Join now at www.netapp.com/us/communities
NetApp (NASDAQ: NTAP) creates innovative storage and datamanagement solutions that accelerate business breakthroughs anddeliver outstanding cost efficiency. Discover NetApp’s passion forhelping companies around the world go further, faster at www.netapp.com.
VMware (NYSE: VMW) delivers virtualization and cloud infrastructuresolutions that enable IT organizations to energize businesses ofall sizes. With the industry leading virtualization platform -VMware vSphere® – customers rely on VMware to reduce capitaland operating expenses, improve agility, ensure businesscontinuity, strengthen security and go green. With 2010 revenues of$2.9 billion, more than 250,000 customers and 25,000 partners,VMware is the leader in virtualization which consistently ranks asa top priority among CIOs. VMware is headquartered in SiliconValley with offices throughout the world and can be found online atwww.vmware.com.
NetApp, the NetApp logo, Go further,faster, and Data ONTAP are trademarks or registered trademarks ofNetApp, Inc. in the United States and/or other countries. VMware,VMware vCloud, VMware vSphere and VMworld are registered trademarksand/or trademarks of VMware, Inc. in the United States and/or otherjurisdictions. The use of the word “partner” or “partnership” doesnot imply a legal partnership relationship between NetApp andVMware, or any other company. All other brands or products aretrademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders andshould be treated as such.