Sunnyvale, Calif. – June 5, 2012- Midsize businesses face the challenge of keeping pacewith growing demands while managing the volume of data beinggenerated, all with limited IT resources and budget. Building on asimple, flexible, and efficient IT infrastructure enables theagility required to help midsize businesses capitalize on this datagrowth to drive their success and create a competitive advantage.As a result, the decisions midsize businesses make about theirstoragefoundation play a critical role in their future success.
NetApp’s new (NASDAQ: NTAP) FAS2220, whichstarts at under $8,000, is the latest member of its entry-levelproduct portfolio and builds on the momentum and success of therecently introduced FAS2240. Already an established leader inthe midsize market, with more than 10,000 customers turning toNetApp each year for their storage needs, the new FAS2220delivers innovative new technologies and increased value thatenable midsize businesses to:
- Start right by providing moreperformance and software value than traditional entry-level storagesystems
- Keep it simple by deliveringincreased performance without increasing deployment or managementcomplexity
- Grow smart by leveraging existingstorage investments and easily adding new capabilities to meetchanging needs
NetApp also unveiled an expanding ecosystemof value-added reseller (VAR) partners to provide midsizebusinesses with cloud backup and disaster recovery services builton NetApp® along with new channel enablement programs to helppartners expand their business.
Enhanced Portfolio Provides Powerful,Simple, and Flexible Platform
- NetApp’s FAS2220 leverages new NetAppFlash Pool technology to provide an unmatched combination ofperformance and value to help midsize businesses start right andstretch their dollars. Flash Pools, which extend NetApp’s VirtualStorage Tier approach to the midsize market, enable customers toaccelerate application performance and are simple to implement andoperate “out of the box.” Flash Pool technology also seamlesslyintegrates with NetApp’s industry-leading suite of nine storageefficiency technologies to help customers increase utilization andreduce power costs. NetApp is the only vendor offering this uniqueintelligent caching approach in the entry-level storagemarket.
- The new NetApp OnCommand® System Manager 2.1 helpssimplify, control, and automate both setup and ongoing managementof NetApp storage. This tool allows customers to improve theirstorage and service efficiency, boost productivity, and reduce theimpact of storage management on IT resources.
- The FAS2200series runs on the latest version of the Data ONTAP®operating system to provide a truly unified, scalable architecturethat enables customers to easily and affordably upgrade tohigher-end systems and new capabilities without needing forkliftupgrades. Data ONTAP also provides “cluster-ready” capabilities,enabling midsize customers to seamlessly add storage capacity asneeded to their shared infrastructures with no downtime.
VAR Ecosystem Helps MidsizeBusinesses Leverage the Cloud
- According to a recent study done by Enterprise StorageGroup, 74% of allmidsize businesses will increase expenditures on cloud services in2012. NetApp is working closely with select VAR partners to deliverdata protection as a service (DPaaS) to help customers start rightand grow smart. DPaaS enables customers to better protect theirbusiness from lost productivity, revenue, and goodwill associatedwith data loss and downtime.
- DPaaS is a logical first step into cloud services for manymidsize businesses because it delivers powerful disk-based recoveryand second-site failover functionality typically enjoyed by largeenterprises at a fraction of the cost of traditional disk-basedsolutions. And with the ability to pay as they go, decision makerswith DPaaS can optimally align IT spending to the growth of thebusiness.
- DPaaS maximizes the effectiveness of limited administrativeresources because it is simple to initiate and easier to maintainthan legacy tape protection infrastructures. By moving to DPaaS,administrators can eliminate onerous tape management tasks, restoredata in minutes versus hours or days, and leverage experiencedsupport teams and monitoring tools to help save valuable time andresources.
New Programs Enable Channel Partnersto Accelerate Business Growth
- The GetSuccessful™ Cloud Services Program providesreseller partners with industry-leading support and connects themwith NetApp’s ecosystem of cloud service providers to help themtransform their business to capitalize on the cloud serviceopportunity.
- Additional programs, promotions, and financing offers providedby NetApp specifically help NetApp resellers help existingcustomers make the transition from their legacy NetApp storageplatform to the new FAS2200 portfolio. As a result, resellers havemore to offer their customers and can increase their businessopportunities by offering services.
- NetApp will participate in VMware’s ‘Real World Advantage‘ campaign. The campaignprovides VARs with various joint sales and marketing tools to helpthem accelerate sales opportunities and generate leads forVMware® and NetApp solutions with midsize customers.
- Bob Schoen, senior vice president of InformationTechnology for Digital Insurance
“Digital Insurance has experienced 50% growth in the past year andwe realized that our storage infrastructure needed to be able toseamlessly expand with our needs. Transitioning to a NetAppsolution, which includes a FAS2240, has significantly streamlinedour overall IT infrastructure and enabled us to maximize ourresources thanks to the increased efficiencies, performance, andvalue. With NetApp our IT staff is able to spend less time focusedon our storage infrastructure and instead apply valuable resourcesand time to other parts of the business to help provide ourcustomers with the service they’ve come to expect.”
- Julie Eades, vice president, Global SMB Marketing,VMware
“VMware is pleased to share a common vision and strategy withNetApp to deliver affordable and robust solutions and cloudservices to our midsize customers. Additionally, VMware and NetAppwill continue to partner with our joint service providers andchannel partners to deliver solutions and cloud services that aresimple, efficient, and flexible to serve as a foundation for ourmidsize customers to grow their businesses now and in thefuture.”
- Brian Babineau, vice president, Research and AnalystServices, Enterprise Strategy Group
“The demands on midsize businesses continue to increase, whichmakes the IT infrastructure they build on as important as ever. Theright infrastructure can provide midsize businesses with theflexibility required to adjust to their changing environment andgrow their business along with the efficiency to help keep costsdown. We see cloud services as another key layer to the ITinfrastructure as they enable midsize businesses to maximizelimited resources, pay only for the service levels they need, andeasily expand as their business needs grow.”
- Julie Parrish, senior vice president of WorldwidePartner Sales, NetApp
“There is no question that midsize businesses are making thetransition to cloud-based solutions and value-added resellers willplay an important role in helping to address this customer need.NetApp is providing our partners with a unique opportunity to bepart of an ecosystem that will enable them to strengthen theircustomer relationships, build profitable new revenue streams, andtake advantage of industry-leading enablement programs designed tohelp them transform their business to capitalize on thecloud.”
- Manish Goel, executive vice president of Products,NetApp
“The growth of data and an ever-expanding competitive landscapecombined with limited budgets and resources means that midsizebusinesses must make smart decisions when it comes to their ITinfrastructure. The enhanced FAS2200 platform provides customerswith the simplicity, flexibility, performance, and value they needwhile delivering a storage foundation that they can build on withconfidence to achieve business success.”
The FAS2220 will start at under $8,000. It will be available onJune 12, 2012, through NetApp’s worldwide network of value-addedauthorized resellers, distributors, and systems integrators. DPaaSis available now through select NetApp VAR partners.
- Learn more about how NetApp is helping midsize organizationsaddress today’s data challenges:
- NetApp solutions for midsize business: www.netapp.com/us/midsize
- NetApp helps to deliver cloud services for midsize business:www.netapp.com/us/solutions/midsize/midsize-cloud-services.html
- The benefits of data protection as a service built on NetApp:www.netapp.com/us/library/datasheets/ds-3335.html
- NetApp solutions for government and education organizations:www.netapp.com/us/solutions/midsize/government
- Watch how midsize business can rope in their spending on datawith the new FAS2200 series: www.netapp.com/us/library/videos
- Read more about how NetApp is helping midsize business addresstoday’s growing storage demands on the new NetApp 360 Blog:nt-ap.com/netapp360msb
- Learn more about how midsize businesses can leverage the cloudin the IDC executive brief, sponsored by NetApp, “It’s Time forMid-Sized Firms to Leverage Cloud Computing Capabilities: Key NextSteps,” May 2012: www.netapp.com/us/library/analyst-reports
- Connect with NetApp experts and storage enthusiasts in theNetApp Community: communities.netapp.com
- Follow NetApp on Twitter: www.twitter.com/NetApp,#midsizebiz
- Join NetApp on Facebook: www.facebook.com/NetApp
- View NetApp videos on YouTube: www.youtube.com/NetAppTV
- Connect with NetApp on LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com
NetApp creates innovative storage and data management solutionsthat accelerate business breakthroughs and deliver outstanding costefficiency. Discover NetApp’s passion for helping companies aroundthe world go further, faster at www.netapp.com.
Addendum: Partner QuoteSheet
NetApp is committed to helping its VARs capitalize on the cloudservices business opportunity. Here is what some of NetApp’s VARssay about participating in the GetSuccessful Cloud Services Programand the value in providing cloud services built on NetApp:
- Paul Sweeney, managing director, ANSGroup
“ANS understands that cloud services present a significant businessopportunity as many of our midsize customers are exploring theflexibility and efficiency it offers them. We recently participatedin the NetApp GetSuccessful Cloud Services Program, which providedus with various best practices and resources that are fundamentalto helping us build a cloud services model that is right for ourbusiness and our customers. We’ve had a very successful and longrelationship with NetApp, and their commitment to the success ofpartners like ANS through unique programs like this will onlystrengthen that bond.”
- Robert Schendstok, sales manager for New Business, BullNetherlands
“NetApp is demonstrating clear leadership in cloud enablement withits GetSuccessful Cloud Services Program, and by sharing thishigh-level consulting approach NetApp is adding a lot of value toour go-to-market strategy. Based on the outcome of internaldiscussions we’ve had at the executive level combined with theNetApp workshop, we have come to the conclusion that BullNetherlands should invest even more time and effort in developingits local cloud services based on a partner model. In this mannerwe can significantly reduce the time to market, the investmentsneeded, and reduce the financial risk.”
- Kurt M. Klein, chief executive officer,CMT
“Our midmarket customers are increasingly looking at cloud servicesas way to make budgets go further, simplify administrative tasks,and gain access to enterprise capabilities so we see a businessopportunity to help them realize these goals. The NetAppGetSuccessful program provided us with tools and expertise toexplore best practices around cloud service business models andcraft a cloud service strategy that works best for us. NetApphelped us solidify an actionable plan to bring cloud serviceofferings into our portfolio. NetApp continues to be a trustedpartner, and this program is yet another example of NetApp’scommitment to their partners’ success.”
- Mark Marron, president, ePlus Technology
“ePlus recognizes the value that cloud services provide ourcustomers. The NetApp GetSuccessful with Cloud Services Programwill give our executive team additional tools to further shape ourcloud services strategy. With the latest information about keybusiness and transitional issues relevant to tapping cloud servicebusiness opportunities, we’ll strengthen our role as a trustedcloud advisor to customers-helping them determine the vision,direction, and implementation of their cloud strategy. This programis another example of NetApp’s industry leadership in providinginnovative and valuable support to its partner community. We lookforward to continuing to help customers reduce complexities,improve efficiencies, and lower costs.”
- Rob Vissers, sales director, i3groep
“Based upon the GetSuccessful Cloud Services Program we were ableto move forward on three concrete steps in developing our cloudservice strategy. First i3 groep will work with NetApp tojointly develop a business case based upon the Cloud ServicesBusiness Modeling Tool. We will then decide whether to build aservice offering on our own or broker such a service with one ofNetApp’s service providers. Second, i3 groep will invest timeto walk through the NetApp Service Provider Product Developmentprocess to understand potential leverage for partnering with NetAppto build a cloud service. Third, we will evaluate NetApp’s proposedcloud training curriculum for educating our sales teams. Thisvalue-added training that NetApp has provided is invaluable andwill help us map out the right path.”
- Mark Teter, chief technology officer, Advanced SystemsGroup
“When customers frequently started asking about our cloud services,we knew it was time to investigate building our own or working witha service provider. Ultimately, we decided our best path to marketwas through a partnership with SunGard, a NetApp service providerpartner. With SunGard, we launched our Recover from Cloud servicein a matter of weeks, and they did a great job training our team toposition the value of its NetApp based services. Overall, we’reexcited to offer our customers fully managed disk-based replicationand recovery with a predictable monthly pricing model to bettermeet their business needs.”
- Adam Steinhoff, chief executive officer,DedicatedIT
“Our clients expect their data to be available 100% of the time.DedicatedIT researched several avenues for offering a disasterrecovery service, including building out a second data center andreplicating at the OS level to Amazon or RackSpace. Building asecond data center was too costly, and OS-level replication was notdesirable because of the amount of configuration and monitoringinvolved. Finally we found a disaster recovery service provided byNet2Vault, a NetApp service provider partner. This solution wasideal, because we could replicate at the storage level and haveservers that could be quickly provisioned in the event of adisaster for our customers.”
- Ken Yanneck, chief executive officer,IPLogic
“Our midsized business customers are constantly seeking smarterways to solve business challenges with constrained resources, andwe’ve seen increased interest in using cloud services to lowercosts and improve business outcomes, especially in the area of dataprotection. As a result we investigated building our own backup anddisaster recovery services as well as a white label arrangementwith a service provider. We decided we could provide secureenterprise-class recovery services and get to market faster byworking with Net2Vault, a NetApp cloud service provider partner.Now we can meet our customers’ needs as they seek cost-effectiveand labor-saving methods to better protect their business from lostproductivity, revenue, and goodwill associated with data loss anddowntime.”
- Rob Flannery, senior vice president of National Sales,Insight Integrated Systems
“With customers’ IT consumption patterns changing to incorporatemore cloud services, Insight Integrated Systems made the decisionto invest in building out our own cloud service offerings. NetAppwas our platform of choice because it allows us to offer a range ofservices on a unified, highly efficient platform with enterpriseSLAs. Key workloads that our midmarket customers seek from ourcloud service portfolio include backup and disaster recovery as aservice. NetApp helped us architect and roll those services out sothat we could offer cost-effective, reliable, and secure disk-baseddata protection options to a greater percentage of our customerbase through pay-as-you-go cloud service offerings. NetApp hasagain shown itself to be a great partner as we developed this newfacet of our business.”
- Jason Clark, chief executive officer, ProactUK
“Proact is a long-standing NetApp reseller and systems integratorfocusing heavily on innovative solutions that help customersdeliver their critical services. We evolved our heritage intraditional on-site solutions to develop a strong cloud servicesportfolio based on NetApp technology. Our services deliverenterprise-class security and availability along with ease of useand affordability-perfect for the midsize business. Our use of theNetApp architecture means that customers benefit from capabilitieslong used in enterprise organizations: the speed and reliability ofdisk-based recovery, second-site failover, and the knowledge thattheir critical data is safe and business continuity strong.”
- Brooks Byerly, principal, SoccourSolutions
“Cloud initiatives are a hot topic with many of our customers, andincreasingly we are asked to leverage our expertise to help turntheir cloud initiatives into reality. Building on existingsuccessful partnerships with NetApp and SunGard made the decisionsimple for us to add SunGard’s Recovery Service offering to ourportfolio. SunGard’s service built on NetApp provides our customerswith an immediate solution to leverage the cloud to improve dataprotection.”
- Mark Benton, product manager, SystemsEngineering
“As a reseller we clearly see the value of offering our NetAppclients data protection services via the cloud. Through our workwith Artisan, a NetApp service provider partner, we are able tooffer a native disaster recovery solution as a service built onNetApp [called NetApp as a Service] with an incremental opexcomponent. This enables our clients to double the value of theirinvestment in NetApp.”
 Enterprise Storage Group, “Market Report:Cloud Integrated Storage,” April 2012.