Those of you with a cloud-first mandate have seen the speed and flexibility benefits of your strategy. But now the bills are coming due and it’s time to focus on costs.
RightScale’s 2018 State of the Cloud Report found that significant wasted cloud spending has driven users to become cost focused, as shown in the following graph.
Here are some key points about cloud initiatives from the survey:
- Cloud users estimated that about 30% of their cloud spending was wasted.
- In 2018, optimizing cloud costs is again the top initiative for all cloud users, increasing to 58% from 53% in 2017.
- The number of users focusing on optimizing expenditures is even higher among intermediate and advanced cloud users, at 65% and 69%, respectively.
- Despite an increased focus on cloud cost management, only a minority of companies have implemented automated policies to optimize cloud costs. Such policies might include shutting down unused workloads or selecting lower-cost clouds or regions.
Many of the customers I speak to are feeling some loss of control regarding their cloud projects. The bills are coming in and their costs are growing but finding where to cut isn’t so simple.
It’s hard to answer questions like the following:
- Are your applications running on the right performance tier?
- Are you overprovisioned?
- Do you have unused virtual machines (VMs) and storage?
Finding where to cut costs and optimize becomes more complex, because you must consider your on-premises infrastructure along with your cloud-based deployments.
No doubt you have both cloud-monitoring tools and vendor-based monitoring tools, but each gives you only its own limited view of your overall hybrid environment. Additionally, your existing tools might not properly handle today’s cloud-based applications that make extensive use of microservices and containers.
You need a cloud-based infrastructure monitoring tool that can accurately predict performance needs and help control costs.
Well, we’re working on delivering just such a tool as a service. It’s called NetApp® Cloud Insights.
NetApp Cloud Insights is an infrastructure monitoring and optimization tool designed specifically for today’s cloud-based infrastructure and deployment technologies.
Cloud Insights is part of our complete portfolio of cloud services including NetApp Cloud Volumes, NetApp Cloud Backup (formerly NetApp AltaVault™), NetApp Cloud Sync, and NetApp SaaS Backup (formerly Cloud Control). All our cloud services are available at NetApp Cloud Central.
Cloud Insights lets you monitor current services and newer software-defined infrastructure layers. This means that you have visibility into both your existing applications and your newer cloud-based applications.
Cloud Insights quickly inventories what resources you have, figures out the interdependencies across them, and assembles a topology of your environment. You’ll have end-to-end visibility into which resources are supporting which applications.
Unlike today’s monitoring tools, Cloud Insights is designed to handle the transient nature of modern cloud infrastructure and its connectivity to sets of services. This means that you get a complete understanding of demand, latency, errors, and saturation points of all your services.
With that information, you’ll be able to see where you are overprovisioned or have unused resources that can be released.
Are you interested? Register now for a 14-day free trial of Cloud Insights.