The latest version of our backup and clone management software, NetApp® SnapCenter® 4.0 is ready to be deployed. SnapCenter offers application-integrated backup and recovery and clone management for use with NetApp ONTAP® storage systems. Let me share some of the many reasons to deploy SnapCenter 4.0.
Built for Your ONTAP Storage Deployment
SnapCenter is designed to leverage the rich data-management capabilities of NetApp ONTAP powered storage. Deep integration with NetApp Snapshot™ and FlexClone® technologies enables rapid, space-efficient copies of data for protection, in-place copy data management, and data reuse. This integration facilitates tasks like application development and data protection testing. NetApp Snapshot technology is the foundation for the integrated data transport features in ONTAP that provide efficient, high-performance data replication for backup and DR.
SnapCenter is included with all AFF and FAS storage systems, when purchased with the Premium Bundle, so deployment is easy and cost effective. SnapCenter is also supported with ONTAP Select and ONTAP Cloud.
New Microsoft Exchange Server Plug-In
SnapCenter 4.0 includes a new plug-in for Microsoft Exchange Server, which enables application integration for backup and restore of Microsoft Exchange Server 2013 and 2016 standalone and database availability groups, including IP-less configurations. With the upgrade, application administrators and storage administrators can easily manage data protection and clones of Exchange, in addition to the other supported applications, from a central interface.
Enhancements to Other Application Plug-Ins
In addition to the new Exchange Server plug-in, several other supported application plug-ins have been enhanced:
- VMware vSphere
- Guest files and folders restore support for Windows guest OSs
- Faster restore of VMs (regardless of size) from Snapshot copies on primary or secondary storage by leveraging ONTAP single-file SnapRestore technology compared to traditional host based copy mechanisms
- New dashboard and reports provide visibility into protected versus unprotected VMs, as well as the status of backup, restore, and mount jobs
- New options to attach and detach virtual disks from secondary Snapshot copies
- New option to attach virtual disks to an alternate VM
- Microsoft SQL Server
- Ability to restore to an alternate host and from unmanaged media
- Oracle Database
- Support for Oracle Database 12c R2, including the Multitenant option
- Clone split
- SAP HANA
- Support for volume-based backup of SAP HANA databases and binaries
- Option to restore one or more/all files via faster ONTAP single-file SnapRestore technology compared to traditional host based copy mechanisms
Additional applications, including IBM DB2, MySQL, and MongoDB, are also available as community-supported plug-ins.
For more information about NetApp SnapCenter and the integrated data protection features and value of NetApp ONTAP powered storage, see the following resources.SnapCenter